[LI] Re: LI Posts Now With Prefixes...

Hi,
>>"Atul" == Atul Chitnis <achitnis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

 Atul> The issue is *not* just Outlook Express - there are a lot of
 Atul> mailers in use that do not allow for non-To/CC/From/Subject
 Atul> sorting/filtering. Even worse are some mail systems that
 Atul> completely strip headers, apart from TO/CC/Subject - anyone
 Atul> using the Exchange/Inbox client from the original Windows 95
 Atul> knows this.

        If the mailer does indeed support filtering on the To: header,
 then the solution is simple: filter on the header
 To: <linux-india@xxxxxxxxx>
        Anything from aunet.org is likeluy to be Linux-India related.
__> egrep ^To: *| wc -l
    416
__> egrep ^To: *| perl -nle '/(\w+\@[\-\.\w]+)/ && print $&;' | sort -u | wc -l
     19
        (The exceptions are mostly LI related personal mail I also
 keep in this dir)

        I was under the impression we were doing this to support
 severely broken MUA's that could not even filter on the standard
 headers.

        If that is not the case, please consider rescinding this
 kludge.

 Atul> And some people just don't filter at all (these, according to
 Atul> my own experience) tend to be 90% of users - for such people,
 Atul> having a clear tag identifying that this message is from Linux
 Atul> India is very helpful.

        Why are we assuming that? If they are not sing filters,
 presumably they have a reason. Why are we assuming they are too lazy
 or too incompetent to set up a filtering scheme?

 Atul> The tag has now been shortened to [LI] which should be very
 Atul> unobtrusive, yet informative enough.

        Hmm. I guess so. In any case, I have now set up mailagent to
 remove the bogosity before presenting the articles to me.

        manoj
- --
 There's just something I don't like about Virginia; the state.
Manoj Srivastava   <srivasta@xxxxxxxxxx>  <http://www.debian.org/%7Esrivasta/>