[LI] Re: Inquiry about hardware

Amit.Kucheria@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> My main concern was the motherboard and its compatibility with Linux. Looks

Hello Amit,

> like nobody has used the ASUS P5A

Sorry for the late reply, I ignored this thread till now. I use a ...

	K6-2/350
	64 MB SDRAM
	Asus P5-AB (w/o sound support)
	Matrox G100 8MB/AGP
	Creative AWE64

The ASUS board uses the ALI 1541 chipset for which kernel support for
UDMA is absent as of 2.2.11. U will have to use the 2.3.x if want UDMA.
There is a patch for UDMA support for 2.2.x kernels but the site seems
to have been disappeared. The board features hardware monitors using
Winbond sensors which have linux drivers.

This board is flawless in my view and I heartily recommend it !

> i'll look for another board and maybe get myself a Creative graphics > card and sound card.

	Why creative graphics card ??? go for the G200 with opengl support. Any
old isa sound card will do if u are not a sound freak.

Regards,

Shanu.