About KDE

Hi ILUG,

Iam a Newbie to Linux. After spending considerable time in various flavours of
Unices, wanted to give Linux a shot. Appalled by the enthusiasm in this group.
Just installed RH 6.0 Linux on my home PC. Fortunately (or unfortunately)
my installation raced thru without any glitches :-) (well.. I remember a
quote on this... 'If everything is going fine, then you are in wrong lane!).

Here are some relevant details:

Installation type: Workstation. (installed using official RH 6.0 CD's)
GNOME desktop.

If have a few queries:

# The MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE1 poses problems when Xserver is terminated abnormally.
   i.e, the same user cannot log into the GNOME desktop. It takes eternity for
   the desktop to come up and no applet/application works (dumps a core)
   though I could resolve it, can anybody explain me the significance of
   the method (I know how the cookie mechanism work) coz, I did not observe
   this in any of the Unices I worked on.

TIP: Donot forget to remove the lock files in /tmp if Xserver terminates
     abnormally!

# Why doesnt the KDE options appear in MainButton->KDE Menus ?

# I have only one applet on MainButton->KDE Menus and that is System.

# Clicking on Desktop switching option gives me only 2 options :
	  * GNOME
	  * Another Level
   (Where is KDE??)
  is it because I chose the Workstation type installation?

# How do I revert back to GNOME from FVWM ? (Do I have to change some xinitrc fi  files?)

# By default, when I start up the system, it goes into GNOME. How do I start the system by default in commandline mode (the probably use startx)

# Can I NOW (after Workstation install) do a Custom install? If so how?

Sorry for being too wordy! Any replies to this would be appreciated.
TIA
Sai

- --
 "The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts
 agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer
 professionals. We cause accidents."