Re: Accessing computer through Internet

> Hai,
>
> Is it possible to access via Internet through another computer (our client
> is in Japan) and download files from that computer?  Do we require any
> software such as Cute FTP?  I would like to get details on both Windows and
> Linux.  Can anybody help me in this regard?
>
> Waiting for reply,
>
> Warm regards,
> Anil.

I guess you want to download some files from your client's computer. If your
client's computer is directly conncted to the net.. the simple solution would
be.. run a FTP server on the client's computer amd use your FTP client software
for downloading the files. Linux distros come with the FTP server. RHL has got
anonymous FTP server.. (which doesn't need any apecific username and passwd, so
be cautious!). If your client is running Windoze then try some FTP server for
win. You can checkout www.download.com or some other sites for FTP server s/w
for Windoze.
If your client's m/c is under some firewall.. then perhaps you have to use VPN.
Check out /usr/doc/HOWTO/mini/VPN for more details.

Kousik