Re: WINE

> 1. what is WINE?

[WIN]doze [E]mulator

> 2. what are its current limitations?

a)Needs a windows installation on your system.
b)Lots and lots of bugs
c)Doesnt run 32 bit applications well (if at all)
d)SLOW
e)Stable production version not yet released(AFAIK)
f)Doesnt run most significantly large programs.
g)SUCKS (yet)

> 3. where can I get it?

PCQ cd's , search on the net.

> 4. After I get it how do I install it?

Unzip & untar the file into /tmp/wine . #cd /tmp/wine (or relevant
directory) #make install .

> given : I have a working RedHat 5.2 installation with kernel 2.2.10 and
xfree86-3.3.3.1

I have only tried on Redhat 5.2 , Kernel 2.0.36 , Wine-0.93 or something.

All said.. wine when ready as a stable product should be terrific. It still
manages some wonders... I was able to run quite a few programs, they do
crash if you fiddle around excessively though. Was most surprised when it
could use my sound card and run WINAMP. The Skins and all could be easily
used. The plugins crashed though. It should be interesting to see how WINE
handles Dial up networking.

Regards,
Sundeep.