Re: doubt

Raj Mathur proclaimed:
> Having worked on most, and purely subjectively speaking I'd put
> Solaris as the closest, probably because Solaris was originally very
> BSD-ish, and Linus chose to use BSD semantics over AT&T wherever there
> was a conflict.

Sun OS derived from BSD.  So did older versions of IRIX, for that matter.
In an attempt to "standardize" unix AT&T and Sun got together to create
SVR(4?).  SVR combined the best features of AT&T-isms andBSD-isms.
Solaris, an implementation of SVR, was the result of this joint effort.
The other unix vendors (SGI, HP, IBM et. al.) looked at this move as trying
to muscle them out of the marketplace.  That is why they went ahead and
formed their own exclusive club: Open Software Foundation (OSF).

The situation has become much more complex since then.  There is a lot of
interbreeding.  Take, for example, Solaris shipping with its own version of
a windowing system (Open Windows) along with the "standard" (X, which,
incidentally, is owned by X Consortium which is part of the OSF).

People interested in Unix history can read 'Life With Unix' or 'A Quarter
Century of Unix'.

Thaths
- --
"Don't go easy on each other just because you're brother and sister.  I
      want to see you both fighting for your parent's love."
                     -- Homer J. Simpson
Sudhakar C13n http://people.netscape.com/thaths/ Lead Indentured Slave