Re: [OFFTOPIC] Mother boards and Soundblaster Live.

On Wed, Aug 04, 1999 at 07:54:34PM +0530, Sundeep Holani wrote:
> Hi,
>     I am planning to get a new computer for myself and am considering a SMP
> box. The ABIT mother board suggested by Arun doesnot seem to be available in
> India. Can someone suggest a good motherboard available in India (delhi)that
> can accomodate two socket 370 celerons.

That's the only MB which supports 2 socket 370 celerons, AFAIK.

>     And now a couple of silly questions,
> 1)Would a SMP box work if say, there is only one processor sitting on a dual
> processor motherboard and the other slot is empty.

Yes.

> 2)If I use, say, two Celeron 366MHz's, should I expect a performance
> equivalent to 732MHz ?

The answer depends on your application. Your latency doesn't improve, but
your throughput _may_ double.

> 3)Would it be possible(even theoretically) to have a motherboard that can
> use my old Pentium200MMX and a new Pentium II or celeron simultaneously. I'd
> be greatly indebted if you could explain why not.

It may be possible, but it won't be easy. P5 (Pentium) and P6 (Pro and II)
have completely different buses. So unless you come up with a bus that
can accommadate both P5 and P6 based processors, you're out of luck.

	-Arun