Please help

  I have joined this mailing list just a couple of
days before. I want to install Linux in my machine. I
have a 8Gb harddisk of which 6Gb is filled with
windows partitions. When i wanted to install Linux in
the last 2Gb, somebody said that linux doesn't work
well if it is installed after 1024 cylinders. my
harddisk contains 1048 cylinders.

how do you create a linux swap partition. do you
create a primary partition and convert it into swap
partition. if so, will this be considered as a primary
partition even after converting it into swap
partition.

          thanx in advance for your advice

 rudra kumar