RE: A UNIX Query..

     Yup, you need to uncompress the files to grep patterns. But the
question
     was to minimise disk access. I don't think we have any tool for
uncompressing
     the file in memory, and searching for pattern.

     Isn't that a great idea ? Making a tool to do that doesn't seem
difficult. Any takers ...
     (I am going to give it a try this Saturday ... :-))

     Suvendra