Re: Adduser: strange -p option on RH5.2

On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 12:05:22PM +0530, Chetan Kumar wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Arun Sharma wrote:
>
> *>On Mon, Aug 02, 1999 at 10:50:06AM +0530, Chetan Kumar wrote:
> *>
> *>>
> *>> Why is this so ???
> *>
> *>This may have something to do with the MD5 based password scheme that
> *>RH introduced instead of DES based ones. Also, you can enable shadow
>
> I am not sure if you have understood my problem, this is got nothing to do
> with encryption. The problem is that what ever you give with -p option
> from the command line to adduesr, just sits in the /etc/passwd passwd
> field, mean it is not encrypted. Something like parameter with -p option
> expects the admin to give an encrypted passwd this is strange to me

I did understand your problem - but my reply was not to the point. Sometimes
sysadmins have access to a UNIX machine A, where user X has an account and
the sysadmin can see his /etc/passwd entry. Now he wants to create an
account for the same user X, with the same passwd, but different shell etc
on a RH 6.0 machine B.

He can do that by cutting and pasting the DES encrypted passwd on to the
useradd command line.

The other explanation that I was thinking of was using an external utility
to compute the MD5 hash and pasting it onto the useradd commnad line, but
on second thoughts, I think that's plain stupid.

	-Arun