Re: Help in gatewaying - more info about network

> The only catch is clients are getting timed out response when trying to use
> linux server as gateway.
>
> Also none of the 'gated' and 'routed' daemon is running, do I have to run
> one of them to get it working for me ?
>
> I have set IP_FORWARD = yes in network configuration.
>
> I have not yet used any of the firewalling commands like ipchains or
> ipfwadm.

I suspect that you are "spoilt" by PCQ's Linux CDs. ;-)

When you run our pcqupdt, it creates a number of scripts, some of which
set up this forwarding for you. To you, this would have appeared like it
was part of RHL 5.2's setup, and you may have assumed that this would have
automatically been setup from any RHL CD (including CHIP's).

I suggest that you run the pcqupdt from the March 99 PCQ CD to fix your
CHIP Linux CD installation. Answer "no" to everything except the question
about enabling gatewaying (and possibly setting up your DNS).

Once you have done that, examine the files and changes created -
specifically /etc/rc.d/rc.local and /etc/rc.d/rc.fw.

Atul

p.s. You could, of course, wait for PCQ's RHL 6.0a CD, which should be
available in a month or two. However, I suspect that patience is *not* a
virtue commonly found in such situations. ;-)