Re: linux safe from viruses?

Hi.. Atul and everyone else.. i'm going off the list cos its
overflowing.. I've got a little query here. If any1 can help me, please
mail me a reply to himadrih@xxxxxxxxxxxx

I've got a problem for all UNIX users.

- ------  The problem -----

We are using unix compression utilities
'compress' and 'gzip' to archive the CDRs (Call data records). While
searching the archive, we use
'ZCat' and 'grep'.

The problem comes here: For the projected data volumes, the system must
support
a read and write per day of app. 13 terabytes. In order to reduce this
figure,
we are looking at some solution for searching through a compressed file
without
uncompressing it. (Though ZCat does this without uncompressing to a file

explicitly, it actually uncompresses and redirects to standard output.)

Please could you give me more information on the following:

   Is it possible to search for a pattern/string through a compressed
file
   without uncompressing it?
   If yes, is there any utility that supports this (for Unix)?
   If it is not possible to search without uncompressing, is there any
other way
   of reducing the reads/writes to the primary hard disk system?
Thanks

- - Himadri