Re: your mail

On Mon, Aug 02, 1999 at 12:48:07PM -0000, Amit Jaisingh wrote:

> I've installed linux successfully on my system. I have a Creative Multimedia
> Kit, with Creative/Ensoniq ES1371 Card. I installed the card using
> "sndconfig", but the volume is too low. Also, the CD-Player in GNOME does
> not plays the CDs. I've checked the mixer settings also.

I would say, check your mixer settings again. If everthing has been
set for maximum volume and you find that the volume is still low, then
you have two options:

(a) Do a usenet search (I use www.deja.com) for ES1371, linux and volume.
(b) Look into the sources linux/drivers/sound/es1371.c and see if you
    can play around with some of the stuff over there.
    Surgeon general's warning: If you don't know how to restore things if
    you screw up, don't do this.

    I see suspicious stuff about

#define AC97_PESSIMISTIC

/*
 * this define causes the driver to assume that all optional
 * AC97 bits are missing. This is what Ensoniq does too in their
 * Windows driver. Maybe we should one day autoprobe for these
 * bits. But anyway I have to see an AC97 codec that implements
 * one of those optional (volume) bits.
 */

#undef OSS_DOCUMENTED_MIXER_SEMANTICS

How often do you wish that we had a Torvalds or an Alan Cox answering
queries on this list ;-) ?

	-Arun