RE: eth0 error

The card is complaining because it is not connected to a network. You have
to either connect it to a hub, a cross-over RJ45 cable to another machine,
or a terminated co-ax network.

The warning you are seeing is perfectly correct - the card is telling you
that it cannot see the network, and that network transmits are failing.

Atul