Broadcast-doubts

Hi,
      Our college has a local network with IP-addresses in the 192.168.0.0
(netmask 255.255.255.0) range. I recently tried out broadcasting a ping with
a "ping 192.168.0.255" expecting responses from all the computers on the net
that were onn and connected. To my surprise, only a few of my neighbouring
computers responded. The kernel of the system I used was Linux 2.2.10. The
other Linux boxes use 2.0.36 - 2.2.1 kernels. I also got responses from a
Solaris and a SCO. None of the Windows(95/98/NT) boxes responded. But, the
most surprising thing was that our Linux proxy-server did not respond(kernel
2.0.x). So, my questions are : Who is supposed to respond to a broadcasted
ping? (How) Can you disable your computer's response (without firewalling)?
There were no firewalling rules enabled on any of the Linux boxes at the
time of the test.
- -
Thanks in advance,
Vimal Mathew