Re: Defrag

On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, Jeffrey Yep wrote:

> Does anyone know how to use the defrag which is on the Linux CHIP special 2nd
> CD? If anyone could tell me how to install it. It was a .tar.gz file so I did
> run the tar -zxvf command on it and it did extract files but after that how to
> run it???

I have not seen the CD in question, but it seems to be a source
distribution. If that is the case, then you might find a Makefile (or a
Makefile.linux) which contains the details of the actions required to
build the executable. Once you identify the Makefile relevant to your
platform you build the binary with:

make -f makefile_name

You might like to know that defrag sources have not been updated for some
time now (to the best of my knowledge). Since ext support is no longer
present in the most recent linux sources, you might have a problem
building it since defrag includes ext support by default. There is a way
to hack the makefile so that ext support is excluded, but since defrag is
potentially dangerous, do it only if you understand what is being done.