Re: Network Cards

>    My idea is to buy a PCI card for the Pentium machine that runs Linux.
any PCI card will do try compex 3com, lanbit they all work well D-link can
be found with Apcom dealers....

> Now, can somebody briefly tell me how linux comes to know
> about these cards when you put them in ? i guess the PCI cards are
autodetected, right ?
Yes PCI is autodetect and also some of the later ISA cards are also
autodetect....

>    now to the 286. this machine has no harddisk and all i have is a dos
boot floppy. le us say i do get an ISA card. how do i go about getting to
use it ? None of the ISA cards i saw at the shops had any disks with them
DO Not bother with disks use the card at default setting most likely com1
irq 03 at hex 0300 c if the card is jumper type then u can change the
jumpers else jumperless cards can be configured using the dos/windows disk
install the card in a system with win and run the utility to read its
default values if u need to change then change the values here and give them
during installation under Linux.....
Yoganand G
>    one more thing - i have a lot of coax cable at home - so wouldn't i be
better of if i tried BNC with 10Base2 ?
be sure u crimp the cables well else BNC will be difficult to debug utp is
best if u have choice...

>    and yet another thing - rather than use my 286 as a plain vanilla dumb
terminal, is there somewhere i can get Xenix or something for the 286 so
that i can give it an IP address and play around with routing ?
u can still give it an IP address by installing a bootrom and use it as an
ine terminal also where u need not have any disks to boot.....
Yoganand G