Problem with Net, Network etc.

I've finally configured my Linux machine to access the net. But I have a
problem. As my 486 is connected to the Linux Machin which is a P166, the 486
can't access the net even when I tried the advice given in the Mar PCQ
issue. Anybody?? I gave the IP address of the 486 as the DNS and Gateway as
said inthe issue and the Linux IP address as the Proxy server with port
8000. But still no luck! I tried pinging and telnetting but ping just gives
a timed out request and telnet can't connect. Also, whenever I boot my Linux
machine after it starts the named service it gives the following error eth0:
timed out waiting for Tx RDC or something like that! Can anyone help? Thanks

TIA
Jeff