Re: Network Cards

Hi,

I could pitch in my 2 bits about the PCI Ethernet cards :-

 >My idea is to buy a PCI card for the Pentium machine that runs Linux. I
 >went to a lot of shops in Madras ( my fellow chennai linuxers, i;'m
 >talking about Ritchie Street ). They don't seem to have stocks of the
 >D-Link network card

The Tulip chipset, shipped with Digital, and D-link DFE530TX cards(& maybe a
few other brands) is by far the best supported on Linux. However DEC/Compaq
has stopped manufacturing this chipset. The D-link DFE530TX now ships with the
VIA-Rhine chip, also supported on Linux.
My next option would be the Intel EtherExpress Pro. All of the above are 10/100
Mbps cards.

As far as the PCI NE2000 clones go, if your application does not really demand
too much, they might just do. There are several half decent PCI NE2000 cards
available, viz RealTek, CNet, SN3200 that work quite nicely.

To get the card working you will have to load the relevant module/recompile
kernel.

Avinash

Avinash Shenoy
National Centre for Biological Sciences