Re: how do i uncompress the tar archive

The most user friendly option is to use lynx. Execute "lynx ." to browse
the current directory. go to the tar file and press "f" for full menu. You
have lot of options, you can chose one of them. You can also use use lynx
to do a lot of other file operations like deleting a file with
unrecognisable characters.
Bye,
Vinay

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Binand Raj S. wrote:

> rohit sharma forced the electrons to say:
> > how can i uncompress the tar archive after uncompressing the gz file say the
> > original one is
> > blah.tar.gz
> > i executed gunzip blah.tar.gz
> > i got
> > blah.tar
> > i couldn't uncompress it further than this i digged up the man too but
> > couldn't get to know further as error is always generated.
>
> The way to untar a tar file is
>
> tar xf whatever.tar
>
> You can use tar directly on a .tar.gz file as:
>
> tar zxf whatever.tar.gz
>
> This works only on GNU tar, however.
>
> Binand
>
> --
> main(int c,char **v){while(!fork()){strcpy(v[0],tmpnam(0));sleep(1);}}
> A program that changes its name and pid every second.
> Try this program at your own risk!   ---> Binand <---

                              \\\|||||///
                              /          \
  Vinay B V                  |____    ____|           Vinay The Nayii
  8681, TIL                 {   (o)  (o)   }          Purring all the time
                             |     ||     |           PH -off-5284681-258
Vinay's Quotes:-             \   \____/   /                res-6686246
bisilina belakkannu kantheradu nodalu saadhyave
                     L I N U X       .~.
                    The  Choice      /V\
                     of a  GNU      /( )\
                    Generation      ^^-^^