Re: PLEASE HELP: DOS-Linux connectivity problem

Frederick Noronha proclaimed:
> >Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 12:56:37 -0700
> >From: ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (AK)
> >Apparently-To: fred@xxxxxxxx
> >
> >Dear Sir,
> >
> >             I have been working on a project on LINUX for my under graduate
> >course, in which I am facing problem regarding connectivity between DOS and
> >LINUX environment. In this regard, your help/advice shall be of immense help
> >to me in achieving my goals.
> >
> >Problem Definition: There is DOS on client site and linux is running on
> >server. The client is an intelligent node and not having linux on it. How a
> >connectivity to such a server-client combination can be achieved where the
> CPU
> >of the client will be used while working in LINUX on client, i.e if a user
> >boots his system (client machine) from linux at server and access his home
> >directory on SErver and uses compiler of server as well. To carryout any
> >operation on client, the user is using the RAM of Client only.

The Client's CPU / RAM will never be used to run the Linux program.  Coming
to think of it, it is counter intuitive.  The program that is in Linux is
compiled to run under the Linux OS.  Such a program cannot run (ie. use the
CPU and memory) on the DOS machine without recompilation.

If you are talking about two identical / similar platforms on the client
and server side, then it is possible.  Take, for example, two linux
machines A and B.  Let us say A acts as the server and B as the client.  If
B "mounts" a part of the file system of A under /machines/A/, then when you
run /machines/A/foo, you are actually using the binary of machine A but
running it on the CPU and memory of machine B.

Thaths
- --
   "If there was any justice, my face would be on a bunch of crappy
                merchandise!" -- Homer J. Simpson
Sudhakar C13n http://people.netscape.com/thaths/ Lead Indentured Slave