Re: MTNL is anti-linux, it seems.

    Ninad> Hi Sourav, A few months back I was in the same mess,
    Ninad> connecting to MTNL with ISDN.  After a lot of emails to
    Ninad> other linux users on the net, I got the solution as this:
    Ninad> in /etc/ppp/options, add this line: asyncmap a000

In general, if you're having problems connecting to any
provider/service using PPP, test out the asyncmap first.  Some lines,
modems and/or RAS's have problems allowing certain control characters
through (^S/^Q are cited as obvious examples, which are the characters
which are escaped by asyncmap a0000: note the extra 0), so when
debugging a connection do set the option:

	asyncmap ffffffff

to escape ALL control characters.  This will increase the overhead on
your connection slightly, but then a 2% slower connection is better
than no connection at all, isn't it? :-)

Once your connection is working OK, you can start removing
(un-escaping) characters from the asyncmap one by one to figure out
exactly which ones you need to escape.

Regards,

- -- Raju

    Ninad> This should help you.  Bets of Luck!

    Ninad> Ninad

    Ninad> At 04:24 PM 7/25/99 +0530, you wrote:
    >> From: Sourav Sachin <sachin@xxxxxxxx> To: linux-india@xxxxxxxxx
    >> <linux-india@xxxxxxxxx> Date: Saturday, July 24, 1999 12:09 PM
    >> Subject: MTNL is anti-linux, it seems.
    >>

    >>> Hi !! guys, I am really fed up with mtnl's server's behaviour.
    >>> pppd running on my linux-box is smoothly connecting to vsnl
    >>> account whereas gives errors when connecting to my mtnl
    >>> account.  following are the relevant extract from my system
    >>> log.
    >>>
    >>> Jul 24 09:57:16 dolphin pppd[623]: Serial connection
    >>> established.  Jul 24 09:57:17 dolphin pppd[623]: Using
    >>> interface ppp0 Jul 24 09:57:17 dolphin pppd[623]: Connect:
    >>> ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0 Jul 24 09:57:47 dolphin pppd[623]: LCP:
    >>> timeout sending Config-Requests Jul 24 09:57:47 dolphin
    >>> pppd[623]: Connection terminated.  Jul 24 09:57:47 dolphin
    >>> pppd[623]: Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean: Jul 24