Re: Problem with java on linux.

>Hi,
>
>I'm new to Java.  I was reading a book, and I tried an example in my
>system. (Dual boot  - Linux(RH5, PCQ) and Win95).  But, I'm not able
>to compile or run the program.  This is what I have done.
>
># javac HelloWorldApp.java

^^^
I don't like the look of that! You shouldn't be working as root when you are
doing programming.

>bash: javac: command not found
>
>#locate javac
>/usr/local/jdk1.1.5/bin/javac
>/usr/local/jdk1.1.5/bin/javac_g
>/usr/local/jdk1.1.5/bin/Linux/green_threads/javac
>/usr/local/jdk1.1.5/bin/Linux/green_threads/javac_g
>
># /usr/local/jdk1.1.5/bin/javac HelloWorldApp.java
>**Out of memory, exiting**
>
>What is wrong here?  I have 16MB RAM, and 20MB swap partition.

Why do you use javac? There's a much better compiler called guavac (a GNU
Java, I believe) which runs a zillion times faster than Sun's javac -
probably as fast as gcc. Not just Linux, I've tried java on Windows, Digital
Unix and even Solaris -- none of them come even close to be being as fast as
guava. Although I have 32 megs of RAM, my guess is that
guavac should be able to manage with 16 megs too. the interpreter (i.e.
java) is called kaffe. I couldn't run the interpreter on RH5.2, it just
crashed. However, it works great on RH6.0.

Akshat