Re: 2 nd CHIP CD

>>like lincity..here i get a scrambled coluured screen and not smooth
picture
>>...cannot tell what is what
>

>I could get xlincity to work but if I remember right (this was in surat) I
>could get the svgalib version to compile but not run.
>Also zgv didn't run. In fact the computer hangs completely. I was forced to
>reset. I got a screen with red and yellow vertical lines (very thin ones,
>in fact am not really sure of the color) and then the screen goes blank.
>And then silence.
>Also when I do a halt, it gives the following message (am writing from
memory)
>-----
>System Halted
><some process> got woken up (I think it had something to do with md5 )
>------
>and then I get a cpu dump (EIP = 0010: xxxxxx etc.)
>
>I can still use Shift+PgUp at that point. So bash is still in memory right?
>And that would mean the system is still in protected mode.
>
>I installed from the CHIP CD - RHL 6.0 on Celeron 300A with 32 MB, BX 98
>MB, Trident 3dimage 975 with 4MB, Seagate Medallist 4.3 GB, Yamaha OPL3-SAx
>soundcard, Creative 40x CDROM Drive, etc.
>The computer was formerly infected with the CIH virus. It ate up my
>motherboard (it used to be an EX ), and the guy claimed he replaced my
>harddisk too. But I know that is not true.
>
>I installed from the same CD on a friends computer (again in Surat) with an
>SiS 6326 and it doesn't give a problem during 'halt'. I don't want to
>reinstall. Prefer to diagnose the problem instead.

Hi,

Your problem's nothing to do with installation or viruses (or virii). The
problem is actually with svgalib or your graphics card or both. The thing is
that svga mode isn't really regarded too useful in Linux, the reason being
that it requires privileged mode for operation (it's supposed to write to
the console) and hence, all svga apps are setuid root. This is not true of X
because it has a client server architecture - only the server needs root
mode, not the client apps. Anyway, the point is that there isn't too much
development in the svgalib department (at least not as much as for X) and
your bleeding-edge-technology graphics card isn't supported. You won't be
able to run svga apps as zgv, lincity (svga) or sdoom. But then, maybe a
newer version of svgalib is out. Do check on the net.

Akshat