Re: Telnet

> Recently I have installed RH 6 from Chip CD on a PII machine.The Network
> consists of Eight PII PCs.When I do telnet from a PC, it takes

did you use hostname or ipaddress? Try with ipadddress.

> approximately 4 to 5 Minutes for the $ prompt to come.What is the reason
> behind this.

A lot of reasons could be there. Give me answers to some of these
questions and I'll try to tell you more...

a) Is a firewall sitting in between your local and remote machine?

b) How about a proxy? May be there is a filtering database trying to
authenticate you to the remote machine... Looking up such databases could
lead even to timeouts due to delay. (I've personally had this problem.)

c) Or more simply is your /etc/hosts updated?

d) How about hosts.allow/deny?