Re: 1 small news...

Ok... Lets start from the beginning. MS never wrote DOS! It was written
by Tim Patterson. They never wrote NT! It was a Digital product which
they stole..

Regards
Prakash

Soumyanath Chatterjee wrote:

> Frankly I do not understand the logic of all the negative feeling about M$.
> Let me tell U, I have no special affinity with M$ but then let us face
> history -
>
> IBM made PC - It was a open hardware and made possible creation of
> Microsoft, by giving it exclusive right to develop O/S for it.
> Microsoft Created a great porting of CP/M in the name of MS-DOS.
> It also created many good application packages to help spreading of PC.
> (Otherwise MAC and Sinclare Spectrum was much better machines at that point
> of time)
> Microsoft had also created Xenix - first multi-platform UNIX implementation.
> Xenix led to development of Minix.
> Microsoft forced IBM to develop better hardware specs to support GUI on the
> line of MAC (in the line of X-windows)
> 286 machines were lacking in most department (after all Intel chips were not
> supposed to handle GUI, these were just extensions of original 8085). These
> led to development of 386/486 & finally P-II(MMX) where it could ultimately
> match the performance of MACs.
> Better CPU on PC, Availability of Minix had led the way to Linux.
> In some way Linux was the similar happening of IBM's strategy. If PC was
> open hardware, Linux is open software.
>
> But, to think of it without Microsoft there would have been no PC (as we see
> it today). No Xenix and possibly no Linux.
>
> Just as centralised hardware concept is almost a thing of the past
> corporation like MS is also a good bridge. They will be remembered - as
> great milestones.
>
> Linux and Open Software is where the future is - faster we realise is the
> better.
>
> So, CONGRATULATION ChenthilWhelan, U have taken the first bold step to the
> future.
>
> It is not 1 small news ---  IT IS ONE BIG NEWS !!!

- --
Prakash Advani 			http://www.yoom.com/prakash
Email: prakash@xxxxxxxxxx	ICQ: 4872876
US Fax: +1 (781) 623-8454 	Pager:(9122)96223022222