Re: Red Hat 6.0 with Modem

Dear Sachin,

Here is list information to configure modem in RH Linux. Source of this
information is at http://www.redhat.com FAQ

For non plug and play modem, the general setup is determine which com port
the modem is on, and then set an approriate /dev/modem link. Determine which
com port the modem is on can be done by examining the card for jumper
settings, checking other os"s hardware resources lists, or by using any
custom modem setup software some modems may require.

Once the comport is determined, you need to make the appropriate/dev/modem
symbolic link. The easiest way to do this if you have X is to use the
control:

modemtool

And select theappropriate comport.

Whats this does it just make a symlink from /dev/modem to the proper comport
for your card. For example, for a modem on com1 this is:

In -s/dev/cua0/dev/modem

Once the proper symlink is setup, you can try to test the modem. The easiest
way to do this is to make sure the phone line is plugged in, and start the
program:

minicom

It should open the modem properly and do some initilization strings.

To try to dial a number, try:

    ATDT5551234

Where 5551234 is the number you want to dial. If it dials properly, your
modem is
configured. If it doesn't make sure the /dev/modem link is set properly and
try again.

If this still does not work make sure you have supported modem.
Non compatible modems include all "winmodems", "controllerless" modems, DVSD
modems, PCI modems, and mwave modems. PNP modems are generally compatible,
but we cannot provide technical support for these modems. They require the
use of isapnp tools and involves more configuration.

If you hava a supported modem, and it still doesn't work, check out the
settings for the modem, and make sure there are no irq or resource
conflicts. To see what irq/io ports the modems/com ports are on, try:

setserial /dev/cua1

To see the values for com2 for example. Typically com1, and 3 and 2, and 4
share an irq, so this shouldn't be a concern. But, if any other devices are
sharing an irq, this could be a problem. To see other devices, try:

cat /proc/pci
cat /proc/interrupts
cat /proc/ioports

Chandra Kumar M