Re: eth0 conflicts with sound card?

Hi,

> Try running the config utils that came with the cards to see if you
> can set it to a different irq.

I had already done that. There is no utility with the sound card but the
network card settings were changed to all possible combinations.

> The drivers will be loaded on demand from /etc/conf.modules. So the
> order in which they get loaded may sometimes depend on /etc/rc.d/*
> scripts  and sometimes whether you ping first or play sound first.

Prior to installing my sound card, dmesg showed "eth0 detected at 0x320" or
something like that. After installing the sound card that message no longer
appeared... there were messages about the sound card being detected
instead... doesnt this mean that the drivers from conf.modules are being
loaded at boot time rather than on demand??

I've actually solved my problem now. After lot of tinkering around I found
that there is no reference to the ethernet drivers in my rc.sysinit . How
then was the card being detected when no sound card was present? There are
entries in the script regarding the sound card which checks for 'sound'
entries in my conf.modules , and if present , does a 'modprobe sound' at
boot up.Let me stress... there is nothing like this present for the ethernet
card. OK.. so now what I've done.. I've added an entry "modprobe ne"(my
conf.modules says "alias eth0 ne") in the rc.sysinit.. and now every thing
is working fine.Both the sound and the network card are being detected at
bootup.. which again proves that there wasnt an I/O or IRQ conflict, the
problem was somewhere else.My question is... where? Also there is a
reference to /lib/modules/preferred (which strangely is a directory) just
before a "modprobe -a" is done  in the rc.sysinit. What is this for? Please
enlighten me.

Regards,
Sundeep.