sendmail & authentication

Hi,

I am trying to use mutt but have been facing some problem. Our SMTP server
requires authentication before sending mails. Now, mutt invokes sendmail
and sendmail tries to relay the message to the SMTP server but the problem
is that I don't understand how to pass information neccessary for
authentication to the SMTP server through sendmail. I tried documentation
and the book by O'Reilly, but it's not mentioned anywhere.

Is there a way to get sendmail to authenticate before trying to relay
the message? If there is no way to get sendmail to authenticate, is there
any workaround?

Thanks
    Manas
"All you touch and all you see ....