Re: How do I print to a network printer from Linux

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999 geetha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx addressed me as *sir*:

> Dear sir,
> It may not necessarily be attached to a printer. It may have its own
> network card and can be assigned an IP address. In that case how can one
> configure...

True, a printer does not have to be attached to a machine. It can have its
own network card and IP address. In fact, here (in Infosys), I am not
aware of a single printer that is *attached* to a machine.

It's very easy to configure such a printer. Just one hr back, I sat down
to configure one of the printers of my office for direct use (i.e.
bypassing the NT machine that makes those printers shareable by making use
of LAN Manager), and I have already fired a print job which succeeded
(beautifully). The only problem is that it wastes one paper in job
description (whatever is the technical term for that). Now with the use of
Samba, I can offer it as a service for letting others print from my Linux
Box just the way NT machine is doing. And ....

All you need is a good habit of doing:
 $ lynx /usr/doc
Most of the difficult things become very-very easy....

Well, having said this, I just hope my sys admin is *not* subscribed to
this list ;-).

Manas

Ps: Please direct your queries to the list as that is how Linux works, and
I am too young to be called *sir* ;-).