Re: Kernel HOWTO

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Rajesh J Advani <rajeshja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <linux-india@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 1999 7:47 PM
Subject: Kernel HOWTO

> Hi,
> My four years of engineering are nearly over (Vivas are left).

So finally you made it !

> moving back home to Surat for the next 2 1/2 months, before I begin my job
> in Wipro in Bangalore (on Oct 25). I intend to setup a Linux Users Group in
> Surat, if one doesn't exist already (which I don't think it does).

Isn't Linux-India sufficient?

 >Also I intend to get into some Kernel Hacking while there. I read the docs in
the
> src directory, specially the one that gave the names of different books
> (online and offline) on understanding the Kernel code.

Good passtime !

>Problem is I don't  have net access in Surat, (no modem, and I don't think I'll
be >convince my dad to get one for 2 1/2 months) so I want to download 2 online
HTML->books (entire sites) - using some offline browser - from here, and take
them
> there on a couple (or more floppies. For that I need your help.
> the 2 best 'books' on Kernel Coding on the net? Also I intend to download
> the sites without images. Will I miss much?
> I am not averse to buying a book (Paperback not electronic) in addition to
> downloading the e-books.

> I am interested in general kernel hacking.
> Awaiting your response.

I am aware of the following Linux Kernel related docs.. there may be others..
Linux Kernel Tutorial 0.8.3  (html=377kb, ps=508kb)
Linux Kernel Modular Programming Guide 1.1.0(html=66 Kb)  - all gzipped
Then the usual Kernel Hacker Guide and the Kernel-HOWTO
All the docs are available in metalab.unc.edu site
I can mail you the tutorials(except the .. if you insist ;-)
Kousik Bera
Tata Consultancy Services
Offshore Development Centre
SEEPZ, Andheri(E)