messages, errors to console?

    Atul> hi all also is it possible to get all the messages that are
    Atul> logged into /var/log/messages to the console in real time,
    Atul> say to tty8? if so, how?

Sure.  Just put the names of all the files and/or devices you want
messages logged to in /etc/syslogd.conf (on my system) like so:

*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none	/var/log/messages /dev/tty9

However, I found this increases the load on my system since syslogd
freaks out -- as it is syslogd takes up a fair amount of CPU on a
loaded system, especially a server.  So what I did (which is basically
a hack) is run "tail -f /var/log/messages > /dev/tty9 &" in
/etc/rc.d/rc.local, which effectively achieves the same result with
much reduced load.

    Atul>  also, how do i change the color combination of my console
    Atul> (say, to blue text on white)?

setterm -foreground blue -background white

However this gets reset whenever a curses-aware program runs.

    Atul> -amit

Regards,

- -- Raju