Re: Setting POP3 Server

Nitin Srivastava wrote:

>     Can any one guide me in setting up POP3 server on my linux Box.

	Well Nitin, you have told little about your system's configuration.
If you use Redhat Linux (ver 5.0 or 5.2. I am not sure about 6.0), all
you have to do is install the 'imap' package. This package contains a
IMAP server as well as a POP3 server.
	To use the POP3 server ipop3d, there is nothing to configure, but do
note that ipop3d defaults to the following behaviour. Mailbox files
are read from the directory /var/spool/mail, and user authentication
is performed using /etc/passwd file.

	You can test your POP3 server installation with the 'telnet' program.

bash$ telnet 127.0.0.1 110

	The POP3 server responds with a greeting string

+OK POP3 localhost v6.50 server ready

	If you don't use Redhat Linux, or want to use any other POP3 servers,
then follow these steps...

* First make sure if you have a inetd based server or a standalone
server.
* If you have a inetd based server, first install your server and edit
  /etc/inetd.conf. Make sure you have a entry like this ...
     pop-3 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd <pop3servername>
* If you have a standalone server then make sure you don't have the
entry
  like the one given above, and execute your POP3 server. (use 'ps ax'
  to verify)

Thanks
- --
Manoj Victor Mathew