Re: DOssy COmmands

>          In the latest Redhat update - may is not latest - sorry ;-)
> they have something like Dossy commands , where are they ??

Hmmm, I think its going to take a while before I livve down that one....
;-)

What we meant by "DOSsy" commands was simply aliases for common DOS
commands mapped to their equivalent Linux commands.

e.g. cls=clear, dir="ls -alF",etc.

The aliases are located in /etc/bashrc

One favourite so far has been the alias "win" that simply runs "startx"!
;-)

>          I want to use  non tcp/ip for email, like sendmail etc.

Since shell accounts are being killed by VSNL, and the private ISPs don;t
have them anyway, this is not worth getting into. There will be no more
shell accounts in about a month's time.

>          How do i compile  the kernel my way ?

First of all be clear about why you want to compile the kernel to begin
with. The default RedHat-shipped kernels are so heavily modularised that
just about any functionality you'd want is available by loading a module.
You'd want to compile a custom kernel only to provide a function that is
currently *not* available.

If you are sure that you want to do this, go to /usr/src/linux and read
the README file - that's a good start.

Be aware that one of the most common  problems the PCQ Linux Team gets to
hear is "I compiled my kernel and goofed, now my system doesn't work...."

Atul