True Type Fonts and Linux

Ever bothered by small fonts on CNN that are completely unreadable on
Linux ? Here's a solution for you. It's technically nothing new - but
adding TTF fonts is very easy on Redhat Linux 6.0.

For people who have the time and energy - read:

http://www.redhat.com/knowledgebase/newfontsystem/

For the impatient:

- - Copy all your windows fonts c:\windows\fonts\*.ttf to
  /usr/share/fonts/ttf

# cd /usr/share/fonts/ttf
# ttmkfdir > fonts.dir
# cp fonts.dir fonts.scale
# chkfontpath --add /usr/share/fonts/ttf
# /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs restart

- - Restart your netscape browser
- - Goto Edit->Preferences->Fonts
- - Under variable width fonts, you should see the newly installed
  fonts. I chose Verdana(Microsoft) and typed 14.0 in the size field.
- - Visit CNN and Bingo, you have all the nice fonts.

- - I also switched loyalties to Xemacs from GNU emacs, just for fonts
- - Try this in your .Xdefaults
Emacs.font: -microsoft-verdana-bold-r-normal--15-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1

Variable width fonts mean ascii art doesn't work anymore. But on the
other hand, you are not stuck with a particular font size anymore.
The number "15" in the above Emacs font can be freely varied and you
get the same font without much distortion.  True type fonts scale much
better.

Enjoy!

	-Arun