Re: Configuring sound and others!

On Sun, 4 Jul 1999, T.Meyarivan wrote:

> HI,
> 	most of the articles relating to configuring the sound card under
> 	linux ask you note down the irq,dma ... from windows and use the
> 	same. But for many of us who use only linux and also the others a

> 	Oss trial drivers can be found at http://www.opensound.com

	I agree. There are other little things (like sync freq. of
monitors, etc.) which do require the installer to give in some numbers.
Although the numbers can be found in the book (which in most cases won't
be supplied - since no one would think of needing a manual for a monitor,
which all one needs to do is to press the switch on!), it quite unnerves
the first time installer who wouldn't have done any of this for a win95!
(which is mostly done by the guy at the shop!). My request/suggestion to
all those gurus who are adept in writing s/w of these kind, can such
little s/w be written which can probe all these stuff and atleast display
the settings? If a single program can probe almost all the cards that the
computer has, it will solve most of newbies headaches and you will be
doing a real great service to the Linux-kind. Perhaps all the distro's
will just incorporate your program into their installations very eagerly!!
Ashok