mail from machine with dynamic IP, pppd problems....

Dear Friends
     Assuming this message does reach you, you will see that i have sent
it from my linux box. Before I go on with my questions, some info that you
might need....

     my machine's hostname 	: annauniv.edu
				( Please note that there is a real domain
				annauniv.edu, namely that of my college )
     Linux Distro		: RHL 6 with kernel 2.2.5
     pppd version		: pppd 2.3.7

     I was running out of space because I had earlier installed everything
in the PCQ RHL 5.0 cd ( I was a newbie then and didn't know what was
necessary and what I could do without ). I still am a newbie but much
better now, thanks to the list, of course. So I decided to install RHL 6.0
fresh from the Chip special cd. And I forgot to backup all my config
files, dial-up scripts ( which I painstakingly wrote ) and so on. And I
started doing it again. I was using chat for dial up, but this time,
nothing I did could coax the ppp link to come up. With all the 3 isps, the
problem ( the line in my /var/log/messages ) was....

     LCP : timeout sending Config - Requests

     I was desperate to connect to the internet with linux, as i used to
do before. I used the utility wvdial that came with the chip spl. and I
must say it was really good. I was able to connect to all the ISPs without
any problem. Especially KMR Online, a new ISP in Madras, who actually
uses IP masquerading ( I got dynamic IP addresses like 192.168.1.201 and
10.0.0.8 ) and when I logged in into my student account and
executed "who" my IP was 203.197.148.2 ( An IP that VSNL must
have loaned to this guy ). I found out that this guy uses NT in all his
machines. That and the masquerading makes the connect slower than Satyam
and VSNL sometimes, but it stays.

But I saw something curious in the logs, with all the 3 isps. The section
of the log below is when I connected to Satyam ( obvious from the 202.144
dynamic IP addresses )

( /var/log/messages )

Jul 5	09:08:26 mani pppd[503]	: pppd 2.3.7 started by root, uid 0
Jul 5	09:08:26 mani pppd[503]	: Using interface ppp0
Jul 5	09:08:26 mani pppd[503]	: Connect : ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
Jul 5	09:08:26 mani pppd[503] : Remote Message : ^F
Jul 5	09:08:27 mani modprobe  : Can't locate module ppp-compress-21
Jul 5	09:08:27 mani modprobe	: Can't locate module ppp-compress-26
Jul 5	09:08:28 mani modprobe	: Can't locate module ppp-compress-24
Jul 5	09:08:28 mani pppd[503]	: local IP address 202.144.10.181
Jul 5	09:08:28 mani pppd[503]	: remote IP address 202.144.10.71
Jul 5	09:11:56 mani pppd[503] : Terminating on Signal 15

( end of log )

#1. What does that "remote message" stuff mean ? This is the first time
I'm seeing it. It didn't come when I connected to VSNL. Only when I
connected to Satyam and KMR. Dunno if this matters, but they both run NT
on their machines.

#2. As you see, the logs say 3 modules weren't found. How does my
connection work without these modules being there ? But please note that I
stay online only for very short periods - just retrieve mail from my POP3
server and the occasional browsing.

#3. How does pppd know that PAP or CHAP is used ? All I did was put my
login and passwd in a config file ( /etc/wvdial.conf ) and wvdial does the
rest. I'd like to login by connecting using minicom and logging in and
then exiting without reset and then manually invoke pppd. But I'd like to
know how to tell pppd to use PAP or CHAP.

#4. Can anybody suggest any other X-based dialling utility ? I used X-ISP
from the PCQ RHL 5.0 cd, but I doesn't even start dialling and says "pppd
returned 1 ! ". I have gnome as my wm and I haven't seen any bundled
dial-up util like kppp.

#5. At Anna Univ., we are planning to install RHL 6.0 on a dual processor
machine. I was told RHL 6.0 automatically detects an SMP capable
motherboard. So will we have to re-compile at all ? Also, I'd like to know
whether the networking stuff comes as modules as it did in the PCQ CDs.

#6. With the chip RHL 6.0, I saw a new file ( /etc/sendmail.mc ). And when
I made some changes to /etc/sendmail.cf, I decided to do what the file's
remarks told me to.....
   $ m4 /etc/sendmail.mc > /etc/sendmail.cf
But I hadn't installed m4 and I ended up with sendmail.cf becoming empty.
I got hold of the file from VSNL's student server ( they also run sendmail
8.9.3 ), but editing all the locations ( /etc/mail in Sun is generally
/etc/ in RHL ) got too tiresome. I then uninstalled all dependency
packages ( fetchmail.... ) and then sendmail and then reinstalled them.
Enough about my goof-ups. What IS that file /etc/sendmail.mc for ?

Thanks a lot.
regards
mani sridhar