computing speed depends on location of swap partition??

Interesting.  I've done some thinking about this and have come to the
following conclusions:

1.  Most written directories:

	- swap (ok, it's not a directory!)
	- /var
	- /tmp

2.  Location of swap on a disk:

	In the middle.  If you have multiple Linux partitions on a
disk, make sure that the swap partition is somewhere near the middle
so that seeks to the swap partition are minimised as far as possible.

3.  Location of swap on which disk:

	On a disk different from the one containing the /var
directory, otherwise both will be contending for write access.

So I put my primary swap partition in the middle of my secondary disk,
while my /var and /tmp are on the primary disk.  Come to think of it,
I should move /tmp also to the 2nd disk -- should get better
throughput that way.  Alternatively, as long as you don't use large
databases or ghostscript too often, and have enough RAM, make /tmp a
ramdisk.

Regards,

- -- Raju