RH6 Installation Freeze

I have installed RH6 from the CHIP CD.I chose KDE instead of GNOME at the
installation.I am able to use runlevel 3 without a problem.

1.I did mkdir /root/Desktop
2.I changed to runlevel 5 in /etc/inittab

When I boot I get a disfigured K-Desktop login screen.I login and then I
come to the initial KDE screen and everything just freezes.

How do I get over this problem AND how do I get to use runlevel 3
again...everytime I press reset I go to Runlevel 5

Thanks,
Gerry Mascarenhas