Problem with the computer.

Sir,
   I have a Digital LP25/LP26 lineprinter. I wish to connect it to my
linux machine running RedHat 5.1. The problem is that it works perfectly
when my computer is booted into MSDOS but it doesn't work on Linux. It
gives all sorts of errors. Almost a new one each time!
1. If the printer is on printtool detects it sometimes and doesn't some
other times. If the printer if switched off it does always.
2. When the printtool detects it I give  'Textonly printer' option and
everything seems fine then. And when I restart lpd and give it a test page
to print it says "lpd daemon not running". But 'ps aux' shows that lpd
daemon running. In stop the daemon and restart it and I get the same error
message.
3. If I don't get a "lpd not running" message then nothing happens. When I
see lpq again here I get two types of error messages. One says that
printing is going on and nothing happens to the printer. Or the printer
just scrolls up the page without printing anything or printing junk.
Otherwise it says "printer offline". When I check my printer switchboard
printer online LED will be glowing indicating that it is online.
I tried it out on Digital Unix. But it didn't work out any better. I got
only one error on it that printer is offline.

I don't understand all this. It works perfectly on DOS but it is aweful on
Linux.Can anyone please help me out?

Thanks
Phani Kiran