Re: Reduced system performance after prolonged usage

- --MimeMultipartBoundary

HI,

I also saw this Heavy Disk acitivity without any application being run but
in my case it usually stopped after five minutes or so. never had this
problem with kernel2.0.36 on RedHat5.2. But when i installed SuSE6.1 with
kernel2.2.5 i saw this problem. even now if i revert to 2.0.36 tyhe
problem vanishes.
My m/c configuration is i440BX MBD, 128MB ram, Cel 333.
Regards
Gurjeet

On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Karan Girotra wrote:

> hey ,
> i am using rh 5.2 with kernel 2.2.9 . after some usage (about 2 hours of usage
> with a gui ) , the system suddenly goes into endless disk rw operations and
> even moving my mouse takes about 5 seconds  to respond . in efect rendering the
> system unusable . Memory does not seem to be the problem as free lists a decent
> amount of freememory . Procinfo confirms that the unusualy high number of disk
> operations .  I have 32 mb ram and 48 mb swap running on a cyrix MII 233.
> shutting down x does return the system to normal operational mode but
> restarting x renders it unusable again.
>

> --
> Regards ..
> Karan Girotra,
> Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
> 91-011-6864507
> 91-011-6862034
> Icq# 25636434

> Linux India is NOT a forum for Microsoft/India/Pakistan/US/UK bashing.
> Flame baits will not be tolerated.  If you can appreciate satire read
> http://www.templetons.com/brad/emily.html

- --MimeMultipartBoundary--