"Dr. Pavri" <spavri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> >> partition check>
> >> autorun done>
> >> attempt to access beyond end of device.
> >> 03:05, rw=0, want=2,limit=0
> >> EXT2-fs: unable to read superblock
> >> attempt to access beyond end of device.
> >> 03:05:rw=0, want=33,limit=0
> >> isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev=03:05,iso_blkmun=16,block=32
> >> kernel panic: VFS:unable to mount root fs
> >>

> Dear Arun,
>
> could you please explain how (or what) you read in the error mesages that
> points to a Hard disk problem ? I'd like to understand how you did it
> that's all.

03:05 = /dev/hda5 (ls -l /dev/hda5 shows that). The error message is
coming from /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/ll_rw_blk.c. Looking at the
code that prints the message,

rw = 0 => read
want = 2 => last sector to be read = 2
limit = 0 => The kernel believes that the size of /dev/hda5 is zero.

This can only happen if

(a) The partition table is corrupted resulting in the wrong size of
    /dev/hda5
(b) There is a hardware error returning bad data on disk reads.

	-Arun