download speeds via linux

Hi everybody

I have a dual boot ( win95 and RH 5.2 ) pentium MMX 200 MHz machine and a
33.6 kbps GVC external modem. My problem is that the download speeds i get
when i connect to the net via linux differ highly from that of
windoze....While surfing the net thru win95 i get connection speeds of 1.5K
bytes/sec to 2.5 Kbytes/sec ( as indicated in the status bar of netscape
navigator..) and from linux it is somewhere in the range of 100 bytes/sec to
1K bytes / sec . I can also feel the slowness involved in Linux. How do i
increase this speed .. is it something to do with my MTU settings ( it is set
at 1500 ) or something else. Please help

thanks in adavance
rutvik