Re: DHCP and DNS

According to Arun Sharma:

> On Fri, Jun 25, 1999 at 01:43:39PM +0530, prasad wrote:
> > > on the NTserver . What I want to know is how does the Linux mail server
> > > do the name resolution for the dynamic IP addresses
> > > All the windows clients who have dynamic IP addresses are not able to connect
>
> man dhcpcd
>
> You can change /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup
>
> and change the dhcpcd line to:
>
> dhcpcd -h foo
>
> When the host gets a dynamic IP address, the DHCP server registers
> foo.company.com with the DNS. It may take a few minutes to propagate to
> DNS, but it eventually works.
>
> Make sure that you use a _very_ recent version of dhcpcd.
>
> 	-Arun

Hello Arun Sharma,
Thank you very much for your response, this will be very helpful if I have my
DHCP server on Linux .
The problem here is that I have my DHCP server on  NT and even my DNS is set
up on NT.
I have a 386 machine which I have set up with linux slackware and it is
working as the mail server. It connects to vsnl and sends and fetches all the
mail for our domain. All the windows machines were using pop3 to send and pull
their mails.
Recently I have started with dynamic IP's which are leaased by the NT server
which acts as the DHCP, DNS and WINS server.
After this the windows clients are not able to connect to the mail server.
They are using the NT Server as their DNS server.
Even I think that pop3 does not need names and IP addresses are sufficient
to connect to the mail server but it does not seem to work.
Is there  any limit to the number of pop connections at the same time
kernel limitation etc.
As when connected to vsnl and the mail volume is large , it is at that
time that pop clients are not able to connect to the mail server , they are
able to ping and telnet but not able to pull mail. I see some messages
in the /var/adm/messages file at that time like
Ouch, Kerneld not able to handle message xxxxxxxx ( some number )
this happens no of times ,
maybe there is a limit on the no of simultaneous pop connections. The machine
is only a 386, meant only as a mail server.
This problem has only surfaced after starting dynamic IP's.
The solution I see as you have written above is to set
DHCP and DNS  server on annother Linux machine. Then your solution will
definitely work for dynamic IP reslution.
Is there any in between solution now for working bettween the NT and the
Linux mail server.
If I mount the /var/spool/mail dir on another linux machine will it offload
the kernel and people will connect to the other server to pull their
mail ?
Sorry for this long mail but having this long experience with Linux but
I am still not able to solve this problem and was really desparately finding
some solution to dynamic name resolution.
Thankyou Atul too for the other article on DNS shall look at it .
Only interested in integrating DNS and DHCP now , without the DHCP server on
Linux. Is it possible??
nps

- --
                           Mrs N P Salaria