VSNL Bangalore - an anecdote

Hi all,

Recently I had to install and configure a linux system to dial out to VSNL
Bangalore. My experience of dialling out to VSNL is limited to Mumbai, so I
just followed the same procedure. The installation went off smoothly, but
while dialling out, there was some problem. I was using diald, and the chat
program sent the login id and password, and was waiting for the VSNL prompt so
that it could send the string "ppp" to enter ppp mode (like it is in Mumbai).
I was looking through /var/log/messages, and the messages there seemed to
indicate that after the login was successful, instead of sending the prompt,
VSNL was sending a lot of junk characters. So I decided to call up VSNL
Bangalore's help desk. Here is the conversation that ensued:

I: Madam, I am trying to dial to your server, and instead of entering ppp
mode, your server is sending me a lot of junk.

The lady out there: What are you using, Windows 95 or 98?

I: Neither madam, I am using Unix.

The lady: That is fine, but I need to know the Windows version.

I: But I am using Unix, and not Windows.

The lady: Yes, I know that, but you _are_ using Windows, and I need to know
the version to help you.

I: Look madam, Unix is also an operating system, like Windows (ugh!) so it
doesn't need Windows to run.

The lady: See, you ask the person who sold you what the version of Windows on
your computer is, and call me back.

At this point I said "Thank You" and hung up.

Regards,

Binand.

PS: Later on, I figured out that VSNL Bangalore enters ppp mode automatically,
so I removed that part from the connect script, and afterwards dialling out
went like clockwork.