kernel panic

Hi friends,

Thank you to all those who replied to my mail.

I think you are write. Due to some reading error on the CD the installation aborted resulting in
corruption of system files of Red Hat 5.2.

Due to this I had to delete the existing partition and recreate the same partition and install Red Hat 6.0
afresh from the CHIP SPECIAL CD.

Everthing went on smoothly. The most satisfying thing in Red Hat 6.0 was the support for
Yamaha OPL-Sax3 Sound Card. sndconfig detected my card. No problem in sound card configuration.

For installing staroffice I had to first install glibc2 libraries. For that I ran the script from CHIP CD and
went on as per the instruction. Though I was logged in as root, the script aborted saying that cannot copy to
/lib login as root. Why this has come.

Note : to run the script as per the instruction I started /bin/bash in a terminal window.

After rebooting the system now I get the error message saying that :

kernal panic : No init found Try passing init= option to kernel

and the machine stops. It does not go to the prompt. I am stuck.
I tried passing linux init=3 and linux init=5 at the lilo prompt, but still I get the same error message.

What should I do ?  Please help

Thanking in advance.

Rajesh