Re: A request to list owners

On 25th Anand Raman <anandram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> was caught saying

I think he is referring to: http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html

> well frankly i dont know where i have it right now but the gist of the
story
> is as follows
>
> 1.        It is against email ethics to modify headers

There has to some distinction between e-mail provider and discussion group.

> 2.        It should be the right of the replier to decide whom he wants to
> address.It is possible that the responder is very comfortable in
addressing a
> individual rather than a group and thus might want to limit to whom he
wants
> to say it  or that he wants to give a priviliged reply etc ...

By changing the reply-to address the sender address is  not lost. Actually
it is an additional line. So anyone wants a private communication is free to
do so. (As U  can see I have included the senders address)

Alternative to reply-to address is giving  group reply.

Let us take a case:
suppose A send copy of his mail to another group B in addition to
Linux-India,
reply to A mail will send mail to Linux-India and also to list B
This lead to spammin in B mailing list.

The gist is:

1. In the present system none of the fucntionality is lost as claimed in the
said article
2. Alternative of group reply will need careful scrutiny of addresses
3. By not changing reply-to address there is a chance some of the reply
bypassing discussion group in advertently

I have seen death of many improvement forum for precisely this reason, and
do not want to see it happening to this forum.
Let us remember that out of 300 odd members only 20 or so interact regularly
others may be getting just watch the discussion.

- - Soumya