Re: Fw: Want to Simulate NAT on ethernet

On Fri, Jun 25, 1999 at 11:49:35AM +0530, Soumyanath Chatterjee wrote:

> Hi,
>     can anyone tell me where i can plug in a driver between the Network Card
> Driver & IP Driver in Linux. Something similar to the one present in NDIS on
> NT(Intermediate Driver). our plan is to simulate NAT on ethernet. btw is
> there any gateway product awailable on Linux.?

Linux networking stack is not based on STREAMS i.e. it is not layered. So
you can not insert a layer between IP and the network driver.

There is a STREAMS implementation for Linux, but using it doesn't help,
because it doesn't change the way Linux implements the TCP/IP networking
stack. It just provides the STREAMS programming API on top of the existing
socket based infrastructure.

About the gateway product, Linux kernel has all the functionality built
into it to perform the functionality of a gateway or a router. One doesn't
need a separate product.

What is NAT ?

	-Arun