16 bit colour in KDE. How?

Hi all,

I am running Red Hat ver 5.2 on an AMD K6-2 with 64MB RAM, a 4GB hard disk
and a Diamond Viper 300 4MB video card. I cannot configure my X to run in
16 bit colour or 24 bit colour.

I have tried to change the XF86Config file by adding the line:
DefaultColourDepth 16

I have also tried the following line from the prompt:
startx 16

No luck on either. How do I change my resolutions? The setting I am stuck
with 256 colours at 800x600.

Any ideas would be nice.

Later,
Nuj