Re: ILUG-Cochin Minutes.

Hi,
>>"Shanu" == Shanu  <shanu@xxxxxxxx> writes:

 Shanu> 	We didnt make an attempt to compile using make-kpkg
 Shanu> coz we thought it might be an overkill to these poor
 Shanu> souls. Most of these guys were win32 users and didnt even know
 Shanu> what a kernel is.

        Hmm. kernel-package was designed with the novice in mind. It
 is a convenience tool -- which makes compiling and installing a
 kernel easier, and has fewer possibilities of errors and omissions
 than doing it manally, I would think.

        manoj

Phase ONE: Getting and configuring the kernel
   1% cd <kernel source tree>
   2% make config   # or make menuconfig or make xconfig and configure

Phase TWO: Create a protable kernel image .deb file
   3% make-kpkg clean
   4% fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image

Phase THREE: Install the kernel image on one or more machines
   5# dpkg -i ../kernel-image-X.XXX_1.0_<arch>.deb
   6# shutdown -r now

- --
 "Have you lived here all your life?" "Oh, twice that long."
Manoj Srivastava   <srivasta@xxxxxxxxxx>  <http://www.debian.org/%7Esrivasta/>